Gustavo E. Galante, MD
322 U.S. 41 #103
Schererville, IN 46375
Phone: (219) 322-3131
Mo: 11 a.m.–4 p.m.
Tue, Wed: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
Th: 8:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
Fr: 9 a.m.–12 p.m.
Please call our office for additional hours with our Aesthetic Nurse.
Gustavo E. Galante, MD
3800 Saint Mary Drive #101
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Phone: (219) 299-9300
Th: 1:30 p.m.–5 p.m.
Men and women from all walks of life can often use some help reducing stubborn fat. Although fitness and nutrition are a great foundation, liposuction adds to these, producing targeted results in areas that don’t respond to diet and exercise. Many men and women who visit board–certified plastic surgeon Dr. Gus Galante for liposuction in Valparaiso and Schererville from Merrillville and Munster, Indiana, and other nearby cities find new excitement about exercise programs and healthy eating because they can see and feel great long–term results.
Talking It Over
During your consultation, Dr. Galante will evaluate your weight, skin and muscle tone. He will ask about your diet and exercise habits, and he will encourage you to discuss your concerns and ask questions.
“I look the best I have ever looked, very happy with my results. I had lipo and so happy that I did it. The staff is remarkable and caring and so is the doctor.”
– Deborah Z. on Vitals.com. Read more reviews
Your results may vary.
What Areas Does Liposuction Treat?
Liposuction can essentially be used anywhere there is excess, stubborn fat. The most common treatment areas are different for men and women.
- For men, the most common areas are the belly, flanks (love handles), the chest area (especially useful to treat gynecomastia), and the neck and chin.
- Women usually request liposuction for the abdomen, hips, thighs, arms, buttocks, lower back, and the neck and chin.
Dr. Galante can also perform liposuction on the knees, calves, ankles, or other areas.
Liposuction With Skin Excision
Pregnancy and significant weight changes often leave excess fat and lax skin around the midsection. While liposuction is effective for reducing fat, it does not provide significant skin tightening. A tummy tuck is usually required to completely rejuvenate the abdominal area.
The drawback for some patients is that a tummy tuck usually involves several weeks of downtime. When patients want a less invasive option, Dr. Galante may perform liposuction with skin excision to remove abdominal fat and most of the excess skin that is left behind. While this procedure does not flatten bulging abdominal muscles, patients often appreciate the smoother look they attain with reduced downtime compared with a tummy tuck.
Dr. Galante performs tumescent liposuction on an outpatient basis – using either local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia – so you can return home the same day. Tumescent liposuction includes the injection of a saline solution combined with local anesthetic and adrenaline. The anesthetic keeps you comfortable for several hours after your procedure, and the adrenaline minimizes bruising by decreasing bleeding.
During liposuction, Dr. Galante uses a cannula (a thin tube) to suction out the fat deposits through small incisions. The tumescent technique is gentler on your body than previous liposuction techniques because it causes minimal trauma to surrounding tissue, reducing swelling and pain. Your procedure may last from 1 to 2 hours on average, depending on the number of areas treated.
Meet Dr. Gus Galante
Thank you for visiting the Indiana plastic surgery practice of board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Gus Galante. Our team is committed to providing you with the information you need to make an educated decision about your procedure. We offer a full range of surgical and non-surgical treatments such as breast augmentation, liposuction, and BOTOX® Cosmetic. Our goal is to make sure you feel comfortable and confident about your choices. We have offices in Valparaiso and Schererville for your convenience.
Team up with an honest, approachable plastic surgeon who will work with you to achieve your goals. Look & feel better with Dr. Galante.Meet Dr. Galante
After Your Liposuction Procedure
What to Expect
It is normal to experience one or more of the following temporary side effects:
- Decrease in energy
- Numbness, tingling, & itching
Call our office if you have any concerns.
You will return home the day of your liposuction procedure with compression garments on the treated areas. These elastic garments minimize swelling and help the overlying skin and layer of superficial fat form smooth contours during the healing process. Expect to feel sore for a few days after the procedure. Most patients manage any discomfort with oral medication.
You’ll need to wear the compression garments over treated areas for about 1 month. You can resume light physical activities after a week, but plan to avoid strenuous workouts for 4 to 6 weeks.
Keep in mind that your recovery timeline will vary with the size and number of areas treated, and whether you have liposuction performed individually or along with other procedures.
Helpful Tips for Recovery
- Have plenty of clean towels on hand for the first few days after liposuction because tumescent fluid may drain out of the incisions.
- Buy 2 sets of compression garments so you have one to wear while the other is being washed. We can recommend garments for your needs.
- Get up and do some gentle walking several times a day to facilitate the healing process.
- Wear a thin cotton T-shirt or tank top under your compression garment for improved comfort.
- Be patient because it may take 3 to 6 months for you to achieve your final results.
- Eat healthy. Resist the urge to indulge in comfort foods, especially when you’re feeling sore and tired after surgery.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
Liposuction for Men
Over the years, liposuction has increased in popularity among men. It is now one of the most common plastic surgery procedures for my male patients. In many circumstances, it can be an effective way to improve a man’s physique with minimal scarring.
Although the procedure is generally the same for men and women, women often get treatment on their thighs, while men are more likely to have liposuction on their flanks and abdomen. Patients often report that even with frequent exercise and a balanced diet, pockets of fat in these places remain. Fortunately, the skin on the flanks is generally thick and elastic, and will shrink down once the fat is removed. Treatment on the abdomen also provides great results for men. Liposuction can give male patients a leaner and more athletic appearance.
- Dr. Galante performs liposuction on many areas of the body, including the abdomen, hips, back and thighs. He commonly treats the neck – often in combination with a facelift.
- Dr. Galante often combines liposuction with tummy tuck and breast enhancement procedures.
- If you still have questions about the procedure, please visit our Liposuction FAQ page.