Members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) perform an annual survey of its members to procure statistics on the previous year’s surgical and nonsurgical procedures to identify trends—what’s up and what’s down. According to data submitted about last year’s activities (2015), men are consistently increasing their participation in aesthetic enhancements and refinements—an increase of 25% in 2015 over 2014 in gynecomastia treatment, for example. Gynecomastia is “doctor-speak” for excess fat and tissue in the male breast. However, men are also showing an increased interest in other procedures, such as liposuction and facial rejuvenation.
Plastic surgery procedures increased by 7% in 2015 compared with 2014, and nonsurgical procedures were up 22%, with combined surgical and nonsurgical procedures up by 20%, which represents almost 13 million procedures performed in 2015. Our ASAPS incoming President, Daniel Mills, MD, said the trend is subtlety in both surgery and nonsurgical procedures. I definitely notice this trend here in my Indiana plastic surgery practice, with more breast augmentation patients opting for more natural-looking breast implant sizes, and an uptick in nonsurgical facial rejuvenation with Botox® and dermal fillers.
The following were noted to be on the rise:
- Fat grafting:Almost 50,000 patients nationwide opted to have their own fat transferred from a less desirable location, (love handles, under the chin) to buttocks, breasts and face in 2015.
- Injectables: BOTOX®, Juvéderm®, Restylane® and similar fillers experienced a 21% increase between 2014 and 2015.
- Buttock lifts:More than 20,000 buttock augmentations were performed in 2015, most of which used fat transfer to plump buttocks, while some used implants. Growth was 32% over 2014.
- Nonsurgical skin tightening experienced a 58% increase in 2015 via ultrasonic and radiofrequency treatments such as Ulthera, Thermage and other technologies that lift and tighten skin without surgery.
- Both Tattoo and Hair Removal saw significant increases in 2015, (37% and 39% respectively).
- Liposuction: This popular procedure was up by 16% in 2015 with nearly 400,000 procedures performed!
As a board certified Indiana plastic surgeon, I have many years’ experience in a broad menu of procedures, treatments and products. If you’d like to evaluate the potential for rejuvenation of your face, body or breasts, check out my website and call my office at 800-721-3244 for a complimentary consultation.
To your health & beauty,
Gus Galante, MD, FACS
Board Certified Indiana Plastic Surgeon