Patients new to the world of BOTOX® Cosmetic and injectable fillers are, naturally, curious about which injectable does what, how quickly the results appear and how long the results last, as well as injection discomfort and recovery time. This Injectables Primer will give you the scoop on all the injectables at our Indiana plastic surgery practice: what we offer, how the injections are performed, and the results you can expect.
Nobody wants wrinkles, that’s a given and you don’t have to live with them! Truth is, the sooner you start treating those pesky signs of aging, the fewer wrinkles you’ll get. That’s why it’s not unusual for us to speak with patients in their early 30’s about injectables–to ward off the signs of aging that are coming in the future!
There are Two Types of Injectables
1. Muscle Relaxers: BOTOX® is the wrinkle relaxer of choice at our Valparaiso and Schererville plastic surgery locations. There were 6.3 million injections of BOTOX® last year, making it the most popular injectable of all time. It’s been safely and effectively used for many years on thousands of patients in Indiana. BOTOX® is composed of a very small amount of botulinum toxin that is mixed with sterile saline (salt water) prior to injection. Commonly injected into what are termed the muscles of expression, such as the “11’s,” (the vertical lines between the brows), it’s also effective for minimizing wrinkling in the forehead and crow’s feet. I also find it helpful to inject into the area just above the jawline to weaken the muscles that cause the corners of the mouth to turn down, giving a sad appearance. The bands of the neck can also be softened. The results of BOTOX® last 3-4 months, depending on patient absorption. Repeated use eliminates wrinkles so less is needed over time. Start early to avoid some future signs of aging!
2. Fillers: Wrinkle fillers are injected into the face to plump up both superficial and deeper wrinkles to make them less noticeable. We carry six dermal fillers:
- Juvéderm® Voluma XC, sometimes just called Voluma
- Restylane Silk®
Areas That Can Be Treated with Dermal Fillers
- The lines running from the nose to the mouth, called nasolabial folds
- The lines from the mouth to the chin, called melomental folds or marionette lines
- Lines above the upper lip
- Frown lines between the eyes (the 11’s), around the eyes (crow’s feet) and in the forehead
- In the lips for volume, to create a more defined lip border and/or to enhance the Cupid’s Bow
- In the cheeks to lift and plump
- Beneath the eyes to create fullness
- On the back of the hands
- To correct certain nose shapes, often called a “liquid rhinoplasty”
Juvéderm® is a smooth, injectable gel made with hyaluronic acid (HA). Hyaluronic acids attract and bind with water molecules to plump and hydrate the skin. Because Juvéderm® is a gel, the skin in the injected areas appears smooth and natural–in fact, hyaluronic acid is a component of young skin. Juvéderm® essentially replaces that cushion of fat that disappears as we age and/or experience skin damage due to sun exposure. Once injected, Juvéderm® lasts up to about nine months.
Voluma XC is the first dermal filler to be approved by the FDA specifically for the cheeks. As we age, the “fat pad” of the cheek loses volume, causing a flat facial appearance and contributing to jowling of the jawline as the tissues descend on the face. Voluma essentially lifts the cheek area by adding soft, natural volume. After injection, there is some tightness and slight swelling, which dissipates in most of my Indiana Voluma patients in 1-2 days. Some patients find that applying ice packs for 15 minutes on the hour will help with the tight swelling. Once the swelling has worn off, you’ll notice a beautiful lift in the cheek area. Voluma will last about two years, making it an extremely popular filler here in our Valparaiso and Schererville plastic surgery locations.
Similar to Juvederm®, Restylane® is a hyaluronic acid filler. While Juvéderm® is a gel, Restylane® is considered to be a “particulate” or “granular” gel. Because it has a firmer texture, Restylane® is ideal for deeper wrinkles and the lips, two areas that require extra support. My Indiana Restylane® patients find that results last approximately six months.
This new filler is specifically created to treat the fine lines and wrinkles around your mouth. It is also an excellent filler to plump the lips for a more luscious, full pout. Like Restylane®, Restylane Silk® is a hyaluronic acid. Unlike Restylane®, Restylane Silk® is a gel. Patients who have had both Restylane® and Restylane Silk® in the lips often prefer the Silk version, as the particles are tinier and it’s a gel consistency, making injection more comfortable in this delicate area. Most of my Indiana Restylane Silk® patients have just a little swelling after their treatment and see the beautiful results immediately, which last between 6 and 9 months.
Made by the manufacturers of Restylane®, Perlane® is a hyaluronic gel meant for correction in the nasolabial folds in the lower face. Results last up to 6 months in most patients. As with other fillers, my Indiana Perlane® patients experience just a slight swelling after injection, and the beautiful results are there immediately!
Made of tiny microspheres of Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHA), Radiesse® provides both immediate correction of wrinkles and, over time, the CaHA stimulates your body to create more natural collagen. Results have been shown to last up to a year or more, giving you both long-lasting and immediate results!
A Caveat about BOTOX® and Dermal Fillers
Any licensed medical doctor in the US can inject BOTOX® and dermal fillers. Therefore, it’s to your advantage to understand that your results are in direct correlation with the hand that holds the needle. I’ve been injecting BOTOX® Cosmetic and dermal fillers for over 20 years. Believe me, experience matters in all cosmetic procedures, not just those that involve surgery.
If you’re concerned about wrinkling, facial rejuvenation with BOTOX® cosmetic and dermal fillers may be an excellent choice for you. Although the results are temporary, for younger patients or those wishing to avoid facial surgery, they create a more youthful appearance that lasts up to two years, depending upon the choices made.
To your Health & Beauty,
Gus Galante, MD
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Indiana, Chicago, Schererville, Munster, Valparaiso