Gustavo E. Galante, M.D. - Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Gus Galante performs breast augmentation in Schererville and Valparaiso, Indiana, for women who want their breasts to be larger, shapelier, and more symmetrical. Many of his breast augmentation patients, who visit from Munster, Merrillville, Crown Point, and other nearby communities, experience a boost in self-confidence that comes from improving their physical image.
Browse our gallery of Dr. Galante's patients and the natural results they enjoy. View more breast augmentation photos.
If you live in Northwest Indiana and breast augmentation is on your mind, a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best place to start. Request a complimentary consultationRequest a complimentary consultation online, or schedule an appointment at Dr. Galante's Schererville or Valparaiso office by calling +1-800-721-3244.
Talking it Over
During your consultation, you can discuss your goals and expectations for surgery. Dr. Galante ensures that you understand his techniques and feel secure in your decision. He also encourages you to ask questions. His answers help you understand the benefits of specific incision sites, implant types, and placement options.
The consultation represents the first step toward successful results. Establishing a rapport helps you build the trust necessary to feel confident and excited about your procedure. It's not unusual to arrive feeling a little nervous about what to expect. Dr. Galante suggests you make a list of questions or concerns to help you remember them. Other tips for your consultation include:
- Bring some "wish" photos that illustrate the look you hope to achieve with breast implants (you can search our photo gallery to get started)
- Be prepared to discuss your medical history, including any medications that you are currently taking
- Be ready for a physical exam
At your consultation, Dr. Galante will review your breast implant options: from small to large, saline or silicone, low to high profile, and more. He will help you choose the combination that best provides the results you desire and is appropriate for your height and body type. An estimate showing the total cost of your procedure is prepared before you leave, with an explanation for each of the specific fees.
Team up with an honest, approachable plastic surgeon who will work with you to achieve your goals. Look & feel better with Dr. Galante.
Breast Augmentation Incisions
As a breast enhancement specialist, Dr. Galante has extensive experience performing breast augmentation. While he is experienced in a variety of techniques, he has determined that 2 incision options are preferable in the majority of cases:
- Periareolar incision: placed along the lower edge of the areola
- Inframammary incision: placed on the underside of the breast, immediately above the crease where the breast connects to the chest wall
Why Dr. Galante Prefers the Inframammary Incision
Dr. Galante prefers the inframammary incision for most patients because it is:
- Associated with a lower risk of capsular contracture, a complication that occurs when firm scar tissue forms around the implant
- Effective for both saline and silicone breast implants
- The best choice for women who are planning to breastfeed children in the future
Dr. Galante places the incisions where they are concealed by the breasts or natural changes in the skin in order to provide very natural-looking results. Regardless of incision choice, patients typically find that the resulting breast augmentation scars are barely noticeable after healing.
Breast Implant Placement
During breast augmentation, Dr. Galante can use either of the following placement options for the breast implants:
- Subglandular placement: the implant is placed under the breast tissue and on top of the chest muscle
- Submuscular placement: the implant is placed under the breast tissue and either beneath or between the chest muscles
Why Dr. Galante Prefers Submuscular Placement
To create the most natural-looking results, Dr. Galante typically uses a submuscular implant placement. This technique generally leads to more beautiful, natural-looking results because the chest muscle provides an additional layer of coverage between the skin and the implant. Benefits include:
- Natural-looking, smooth transition from the collarbone to the breast
- Reduction in rippling and wrinkling of saline implants
- Additional support for the implant
- Enhanced results for patients with little existing breast tissue
- Reduced incidence of capsular contracture, the primary complication following breast augmentation
- Improved visualization of the breast tissue on mammograms
Because Dr. Galante personalizes each breast augmentation procedure, he will review your options during your consultation and choose the technique best suited to you and the results you hope to attain.
Dr. Galante usually uses general anesthesia for breast augmentation, so you will be asleep for your surgery. He begins the procedure by making the incisions and creating a space for each implant called a pocket.
After inserting the implants, Dr. Galante compares the breasts for symmetry in size and shape, and makes adjustments as necessary. To balance breast asymmetry, he may use different sizes of silicone implants or fill saline implants with different amounts of saline solution.
Once he has attained the desired results, he closes the incisions with fine sutures and protective surgical tape. The entire procedure takes about 1 hour to complete.
"I'm proud of what I did. I've never felt so good about myself in my life. It may sound funny, but I'm complete now. I have my two kids, my husband, and I'm healthy."
–Read Julie's Real Patient Story
After Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
Dr. Galante performs breast augmentation as an outpatient procedure so you will be able to go home the day of your procedure.
After surgery you will be placed in an elastic bra designed to help with healing. Discomfort following surgery is treatable with oral medication. You can resume light activities such as showering, walking and dressing yourself at your discretion, but remember to give yourself time to recover. You can resume aerobic exercise in roughly 3 weeks. Dr. Galante will give you more specific post-op instructions prior to your surgery.